After the previous days extended session, the following day I was lucky enough to have nothing terribly grown up to attend to (the first time for ages). So I settled down for a nice long glue filled afternoon stint.
I was enthused with the project at this point as I had made some real progress on it for the first time in a decade. There is something very satisfying about going back to a project that could very feasibly never have been finished, so I was quite happy to get stuck in on that day.
In order to take at least some of the obviously fantasy/medieval look from the castle I spent the entirety of the session chopping up bits of sprue, cardboard and textured plasticard and sticking them along with some other odds and ends to the castle sections.
In retrospect I should have cut a lot of the pieces up and taken them out side to be sprayed a base colour before I stuck them to the castle to save time later. It crossed my mind at the time but I was shooting from the hip at this stage. I really didn’t know how much stuff I would need, where I would end up sticking it to and how long my patience would last so I opted to work through attaching the pile of scraps that I had and paint them later. The next time that I try to convert a toy castle into a miniature post apocalyptic fortified area I will know better I suppose, but I doubt that will happen for a number of reasons.
The hands down best thing that I had for adding to the fort was an amount of Hexagon plastic kit parts. They are some sort of prefabricated, snap together kit that I think that Airfix have something to do with making. I picked up some for cheap in a model shop a few years ago and they turned out to be ideal for what I was trying to do.
The Hexagon stuff is a dull metallic grey colour. All of the parts have a lot of nice detail sculpted on to them and both sides of each piece are different. In addition to the chopped up plastic sprue and the various plasticard and cardboard elements the Hexagon bits helped to lend a little authenticity to the project, looking as they do like prefabricated pieces of machinery. The W.I.P. snap below should hopefully illustrate what I mean.
Like last week, the colour repro in the shot is a bit off, I cant do a lot better currently Im afraid.
That was the last thing that I did in that session. Cutting and sticking all of those bits of scrap took ages.
To be continued.